Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chronicle #6 : History Department

Just a few months after being accepted in Language Institute (and finishing the probational period), I got the offer to teach at History Department. They needed a lecturer to teach writing in English III. Since the director of Language Institute knew that my thesis was about writing skill, she appointed me for the position. Of course, in an instant, I nodded my head. Hey, it was a rare opportunity.

Having been informed that my colleague used to make the syllabus for the same class, I contacted her. When receiving the last-year syllabus, I was shocked. It was different. Not including writing skill at all, but English learning strategy instead. Meanwhile, the department asked me to develop students' writing skill. So, I changed the whole syllabus.

I was nervous back then. Can my syllabus be called as reliable? Was that really a valid one? Designing material and syllabus have been my activity since several semesters backward. But this time, I am dealing with the formal institute. University and official study program. Meaning, my syllabus will also be used as the consideration in the accreditation process. I had some moments of losing my confidence.

However, in the process, I found out that it was interesting. I got all the freedom that I wanted! I was free to choose what to teach, what to test, and even what not to teach. BOOM! The syllabus was done, the material was done.

To my surprise, I found out that English class in history department was treated like a step children. There were a lot of thoughts that they are hopeless. However, faced by the opinion like that, I couldn't help but challenged. In my mind, I set what could I do for them. If they were really hopeless, how could I raise their motivation to learn English and made them confide in themselves. At least, made them feeling precious and not being left out.

Then came the day when I had to enter the class for the first time. Dang, they were late for almost half an hour. I initially wanted to be angry, but considering their nature, it will have a bad impact to their motivation if I shouted at them in the first meeting. At that moment, I decided that I had to change my paradigm. I had to be very fluid. And yet, only one student came out of three. What should I do with one student? I finally ended up on chatting, and that was the first bonding I had with students from History Department.

As the time went by, I know each of the students personally. And yet, the class turned to be a workshop class. They got no complaint, and even got no secret. Most of the time, we were just having short discussion. I grew close to Angga, the perverted otaku boy and Gilang, the bohemian one. Ah well, actually we got close real fast because we were all bohemian.

Actually, I got more “students” when teaching there. It was a big class, occupied only by two students and one lecturer. But the class was always full (with invisible things). Huauahuahuahuahau! So, I was not only teaching a human being......

On the second semester, I met with Angga and Gilang again in English IV. However, this time I met more people. Sister Mena, the persistent one. She was left behind in term of ability and English mastery, but her persistence and diligence helped her to cope up with the others. She even served as my catalyst, especially when my joke went too far. I had Ifa, the activist, in my class. She was a bright girl, but her problem came in her dilligence. She skipped the class often. Thank God, she managed to pass my class, although I had to bend my own rule once for her sake. I couldn't let someone as bright as her failed my class only because of sickness. Then, I had the gentle Tati, as much as being inaccurate, she tried hard. Like the others, she almost failed my class too, but managed to escape. Then the last member who colored my class was Ismi, the WIIIILD girl. Well, not wild in dirty context, but wild in term of attitude.

Their class was different, for we had more students. The discussion was interesting. Can you imagine the students were so eager discussing agnosticism? Or when Angga suddenly came up with the topic of Hindu Trinity. We were really helping one another. (And that might be the reason why they never believe me being a killer lecturer).

The last class in history department happened last semester. I got two more serious students, but still pretty close. Deaz and Ayunda. They were very bright! No problem with dilligence. And yet, they still thought that the class was fun.

So, what's the moral value? Hmmm, never really good with this one, but lemme try. Can I say that, never underestimate people? Since they can show you their hidden potential. And it will really left you in awe.

One thing for sure, I was glad to teach in the history department. It was a memorable thing, even my sanctuary when I felt overwhelmed by my other teaching tasks. Sanctuary, since I can release my stress and burden, teaching while stripping all the formality.

No comments: