Saturday, October 02, 2010

Cambridge #1 : Day One

By the time I set my feet at Heathrow, I still couldn't believe that I reached far far away land. Everything looked the same, except the fact that most of them were caucasian. Within the airport, I didn't feel the difference to Indonesia. Hell, even when I took my train to Paddington station and saw London's landscape, it still felt like watching movie.

From Paddington, I went to King's Cross. After going through several torturing stairways (because of my overweighted luggage), I managed to get to the ticket booth. They gave me the ticket to Cambridge, and guess what? The train was leaving in five minutes from Platform 9b. Well, blame my wild imagination, but as I ran to catch my train, I imagined myself as Harry Potter running along catching the train in Platform 9 3/4. Thank God I didn't bump into Hogwarts Express. Hehehehe!

During my jouney, I found out why people said that England is wet and gloomy. It really is, with all the rain, cloudy days, and shades. The authenticity and antiquity were certainly there. It is really an old and classic country. The medieval scent is lingering in every tree, in every bricks of houses, in every pint of air.

And after an hour, I finally reached Cambridge. If London carried the sense of antiquity in every part, Cambridge is the antique itself. Every big building, colleges, and chapels warped me back to the glorious day of the monarch. The day of nobility and aristocracy. No motorcycle, few cars, and MANYYY bicycles.

With all the cold wind and light shower, I felt very welcomed by the old atmosphere.

No comments: