Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cambridge: On Research

I almost gave up researching!

Shocking, eh? But it was true. My coming back to the old job had convinced me that my newly acquired knowledge was a complete piece of junk. There was really no place nor opportunity for me to develop what I got from Cambridge, the top university in the world. True, my degree left people in awe and brought them to conclusion that I would be successful in any professional path I am taking. But their conclusion is theoretical.

My decision to come back was based on the opportunity to develop the knowledge I got through the local context. Yet, some people just did not respect my field. They put me into something completely unrelated to my background knowledge. Ironically, the positionS for something I am fit in are still vacant. Instead of being given a space and time to improve, I was put into an experiment. Sigh!

The fact that I was only half a human I was added by the work stress has brought me down. I lost all my interests in ANYTHING! Furthermore, being trapped in the stinking job has left me feeling like a trash trapped in the middle of nowhere.
Fortunately, being back into a Cantabrigian embrace has helped me raising back my morale. The people I met there brought me back into confidence, that I worth more than what I thought I was. They gave me courage to find a breakthrough, convinced me that I deserve something better than what I have now.

Sophia, my former classmate, has really opened my eyes on the wide opportunity for the research. It was her who talked me back into research world, telling me that I can have the back up from the international scholars. She told me that my world does not revolve around my small entrapment now. My eyes were opened that there are more places in the world for me to explore. The enthusiasm of my professor when I came to visit her in the next morning also convinced me, that I will always have them to help.

On my visit to The Bird, I met another acquaintance. Surprisingly, he is willing to help me finding some international job. What a support, eh? I never thought that a help will come in a bar, a leisure place. Over a pint of beer, I really have to say, GOD BLESS STELLA!! The other friends there also supported me, asking me to break free from my own prison. One even offered to send me the new guide for CV and cover letter.

As I went to London, Phuong was even willing to help me with the proposal for my Ph.D application. It is quite ironic, eh? When people from your home base treated you without any respect or support, you found other people outside your home giving you their support. Yes, with the backing up from them, even the ones who keep hoping for me to come back, I will make my dream come true.

First step now, coming back to the research. To hell with all the stressful workload! I should revise my children’s literature. Revise, research, and publishing!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No prophet is acceptable in his hometown.

Or in your case

No innovator is acceptable in his country