Monday, November 16, 2009

Nostalgic Moment

It was in the Interpreting class, and I decided to open the class by playing an Indonesian song. What my students had to do was interpreting the Indonesian lyric into English lyric. And the song was “Sekitar Kita” by Krakatau. A quite old song, dated back to 1997. Wew, it was 13 years ago. Actually the real reason of choosing the song was because it is not a mellow love song, and it is full of social message.

When I played the song, my mind returned back to elementary school. The song hypnotized me, arousing many memories of my childhood. It is a jingle for my small group of friends back then. No, even when we gather, sometimes we still sang the song.

I remembered when we still donned the red and white uniform, thinking nothing other than study and play. The moment when innocence was still in the air. All we know were friends and foe, black and white.

A small group with the name that is not changed up to now, which FYI a bit embarrassing right now, The Greatest Kids. Hehehe! But we are no longer kiddos, we’re grown up. One of us suggested that we keep the name, since we have to maintain the “kiddos” side within ourselves, to balance the suffering of the world with the cheerfulness.

Acted like a group of superheroes, we decided to create a code name for each of us. Silly idea, but we worked that out. In fact, we still remember those names we created from parodizing the name of famous figures. I assume the identity of Michelangelo Bakarroti (a parody of Michelangelo Bounaroutti) myself. Caessar, the first ranker of the class, took the coat of Chriskapurbarus Colombus (taken from the founder of Puerto Rico). Cing-cing, the tough girl as well as warrior princess wannabe, went with the code Ledeng Van Betetman (this one is a bit tough, Ludwig Van Beethoven). The princess of the class, Agita, was given the honorary title of Marie Mencuri (taken from Marie Curie). The most feminine girl among us, Liana, inherited the name of Hellen Kolor.

Ah, the memories! But the song was ended, and I had to reassume my role as the lecturer in the class. My memories faded. I was dragged back into reality. The song still lingered In mind, though.

Slama dunia masih berputar,
Perbedaan tak pernah pudar,
Terbawa keangkuhan manusia
Tak ingin membagi rasa…….

No comments: