Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chronicle #3 : SMA 6

As a student of Teacher Training Faculty, there is an obligatory step to pass, Practice Teaching, or commonly referred as PPL. Well, I could not escape from that obligation as well, thus I had to undergo that at 2007. Actually, I requested specially to be placed in the school which had the international class, for the sake of my research. To be more specific, I requested to be put together with my research fellows. But tha fate brought me another story.

Not only being separated from my research fellows, I was a little bit shocked knowing that I was put in SMA 6. Well, the first impression of that senior high school is never good. It is still famous for the juvenile. Gee, I was never a naughty boy in the first place. Well, I was and still am tricky, sometimes naughty, but never into juvenile. Hell, I even despised school gang when I was still in the senior high. It was a very frightening thought.

Came the briefing time, and I was a bit relieved to find that my partners were good people. At least, they were reliable and cooperative. Not only from Sadhar, I also met student teachers from UNY and UAD. Well, never had the problem with people from UNY, but I did have a sharp covert conflict with UAD, even involving manipulating students to hate them and put bad stigma for them in the common room. You can say that I learnt how to be a cunning politician back then, how to create disgrace without being known.

Enough for that, since it will just be a completely new story and journal. This chronicle talked about the teaching experience, anyway. In that case, I was lucky for I got a nice supervising teacher. Pak Harwanto, English teacher specialized in teaching conversation and speaking. He usually taught the material out of the curriculum. His principle is encouraging the students to speak English, regarding the curriculum. Furthermore, he loved his job very much. Therefore, I never experienced the “slavery” that most practice students had. Ohohohohoho!! arrogant laugh

Pak Harwanto gave us a whole week, teaching the same material for 14 classes, and that was it. No more. So, I taught 7 meeting in 7 different classes (1st grade) with the same material, while Kenyar taught the same number of class in the 2nd grade. In the following week, we had already been freed from any teaching task. WHAT A BLISSFUL HEAVEN!!!

Being placed under that type of teacher, my Bohemian style of teaching was further developed and encouraged. He never asked me and Kenyar, the other student teacher, to write him a lesson plan and curriculum. Hell, we were never bothered with making those stuffs until the end of the program. He only asked us what to teach, a small discussion about the material, and that's it. He even asked me to give mark to Kenyar, and vice versa. Being given chance like that, of course we gave one another A. Gyahahahaha!

Well, eventhough we taught in Bohemian style, we prepared our teaching material well. I still remember how I brought my own computer speaker to the class only for the sake of listening. Carrying the same experience of teaching in SEDC, I tried to get close to the students. Well, to be honest, I never put myself higher than those students, but trying to fit into their circle instead. Thus, the students were not afraid to me, but at the same time, they will be more obedient, since the communication is like a communication between friend.

They enjoy our classes, even though I said it myself. Being a tricky boy who loved to play trick on student teacher when I was in Senior High, I was afraid of having the same experience myself. Karmic consequence, eh? But it never happened, to my surprise. I even played trick on my students, and they were never offended, even enjoyed it. Err, I'd say that I outwitted those tricky students. That resulted in having a very WILD class. People might thought that my class was wrecked in havoc, with loud voices and shouts here and there. But hey, those were speaking classes, and the louder the merrier, eh? Pak Harwanto expressed no complaint, he even enjoyed the class.

The students? No complaint, no trick, and not even any violence. I even revised my impression that SMA 6 students ARE nice. Once you get close to them, they will even treat you as friend. I even spent the break time with some students at the canteen. Treating one another and gossiping about beautiful female students. Gee, it was a very nice experience.

Then, what is the lesson to pick from this chronicle? What did I learn from teaching at SMA 6? I guess the biggest thing I acquired was the encouragement for my bohemian teaching style. Hehehehehe! It's not wrong to be a bohemian teacher, as long as you can bring joy and knowledge to both your students and yourself. La Vie Boheme!!!

3 comments:

yansDalamJeda said...

English day.....

BaS said...

What is bohemian style? Ora ngerti kamsude?

Chrysogonus said...

Bohemian style itu mengajar sesukanya. Bebas dan ga banyak aturan....