Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Blind Date and Sacrifice

It was a blind date night, a night of charity event in University of Cambridge. I already filled the form on the very first day of the launching. Well, some people back home thought that I am just being desperate in attempting the blind date, but the truth is I just wanna try this new social experience. What does it feel like to meet a total stranger and go on a date.

The conversation among my classmates about the blind date suddenly changed my opinion. They were talking about having a bad date and planning on an "emergency call" for that. Honestly, I did not think about that point yet, not until they floor that solution. I guess, I was just being too optimistic and considering courtesy too much that people will not leave their date no matter how awful that will be.

When I got my form back, the first shock came. I know my date! Well, at least I know the person, but not knowing personally. Aaaargh, I wanted to date a total stranger! I wanted to know a new person! I envied people who did the research on their blind date partner via google or facebook, while I didn't need to do that. That certainly crossed out the thrill of doing the "research". The losing thrill, the thought of emergency call (which was made worse by my stolen phone), and the bad first impression of the person put me really down.

The thought shifted to the option that I will be the bad date. I started being very pessimistic and consider myself as not hyped enough to be on a date. Guess people already know how socially disable I am. The thought of getting stood up in the middle of the date lingered in my mind, poisoning the joy of going for a date.

But then everything went smoothly and nice. I was completely wrong! We spent five and a half hours together in a combination of dinner and pub crawl. Nothing bad happened, at least from I perspective. I did not get stood up. Hearing from the others who was left by their dates with various reasons, I felt very thankful. At least my date stayed with me until the end of the night.

No, it's not the case that I fell in love in the first date. Since the first time I already prepared myself that this will be a one shot event only. But I couldn't help but falling in love with dating. Going on a nice date reminded me how nice can a date be, how nice can getting involved with someone be. It's like someone points a flashlight in front of my face and shouted, "Wake up! Stop lamenting over your wrecked love life and start seeing people again!"

Well, on the way home, I had to stopped several times just because I had an overwhelming thought about that. My chest was tight, the sentiments brought me a lot of undescribable feeling. If that can come out as tears, what kind of tears would that be? Happy tears? Tears of sadness? One thing that I found was how precious dating can be. How precious can someone beside you be.

Realizing the great value of that, I looked up in the sky and secretly prayed, "God, now that I know how precious can a better half be, I only have one wish for this year. Please just give me a stable job abroad first. I will give up the possibility of having a perfect love life for that!"

No comments: