Sunday, August 17, 2008

Degrading Woman in the Eve of Independence Day


The eve of the Independence Day is always a torturing day, since we have some event called tirakatan. Ouch, how I really hate staying out late and watch nothing but speeches, the long ones. Besides, nothing interesting! Well, got to admit, I was excited to come to the event when I was younger (and how long is that? Thirteen years ago?)

I had to come to this year’s event though, since my brother had to play music for the national song. Meaning, I had to give him mental support and physical support for bringing the keyboard. Huh.

The venue (wow, can’t believe I use the word! Venue! Sounds so classy, while in fact it is only a simple gathering space) was set with carpet in front of the stage and plastic chairs in the back row. When I came, there were only few people there, so my family sat on the plastic chairs. The carpeted area was empty, since everybody chose to sit on the chairs, and the carpet would be used by the latecomers. We sat together with some neighbouring ladies and gentlemen.

And then came the master of ceremony, two young girls (well, put the emphasis on the term YOUNG!). They gave us the rundown of the event and started it. Still few people though, but we already started the show to give the opportunity to the children who performed. Surprisingly, when there were many people coming, the master of ceremony said clearly, “Can I have your attention? Would please all the ladies move and sit on the carpeted area? Since the plastic chairs are to be used by the gentlemen!”

Some ladies who already sat on the plastic chairs moved to the carpeted area, while some others were grumbling. They didn’t want to move, since they never thought about such kind of a rule.

Surprise, surprise! Even in the 63rd birthday of Indonesia, there are many discrimination happened. The regulation that makes female to sit in the carpeted area is surely degrading women and eliminates the fight of gender emancipation. Women are still regarded as the lesser being than men. So, what is the independence proclamation for?

However, some women placed themselves in that position. As a helpless creature, lesser being, and degraded thing. Wow! That kind of women always disgusts me. I mean, how can you accept the humiliation?? Can’t you even strive for equality? The women who sat on the chair and moved in the end were even better than these ladies. And who were these ladies? The noted one was the master of ceremony, since she is a woman herself, but surrendered to the hegemony of patriarch.

Probably, I held this view of equality between man and woman too firm. But I really want the equality. I even like to have an equal wife with me (yeah, like the one that Non said, a partnership, not a relationship!). Blame me, guys! But I hate having a lesser woman as my life partner. Gosh, wouldn’t it be annoying? Being a supreme ruler of a family, without anyone to give some consideration and only follow the decision? Eeeeew!!!!!

The conclusion? I left the event when the old spirit full guy talked about Indonesian history and mentioned that westerners (including AFRICA) wanted to colonialized Indonesia in the past. Africa? Yeah right, sir!

PS : Am I not nationalist enough???

No comments: