Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Avalokitesvara 2 - Tara

Something weird just happened to me in last days. This is related to the little annoying childish devil (Wow, so now I’m using that term to refer to her?). Well, this is the case, she texted me once by using her-so-called-romantic-complicated-style of poetry text. And hey, for people knowing me well, I am always tempted to reply that kind of text, using my own complicated thingy. Well, kind of showing off that I can make something more complicated than that! Wahahahaha!!!!

She texted me about Sita and such, taking excerpt from wayang. I thought, wow, so she wanted to have a “duel” in this realm? So I replied by comparing Sita, Banowati, and Drupadi. Guess what, she said that she knew Banowati. Gee, I doubted it actually. Again, she replied using that kind of register, her so-called-wayang-register-but-actually-too-shallow. So, I challenged her by mentioning Avalokitesvara and Tara. Hit the spot, dude! She didn’t know who Tara is (in fact she thought that Tara is the one having hundred kids! Dude! That’s Gandari!!!) Few days ago, she said that I shall never get my Tara. Geee, I never try to look for Tara. See, with that childish mind of her, again, she misunderstood.

Okay, enough with the introduction. Let’s just see who is Tara here!

Tara is not the husband of Sugriwa. She is not the one who is the daughter of Indra. Instead, Tara is the avatara of Avalokitesvara. Legend mentioned that she is born from Avalokitesvara’s tears when seeing so many creatures in-need of help. Though she’s powerful, she still can’t do it alone. Thus, born Tara. Tārā is also known as a saviouress, as a heavenly deity who hears the cries of beings experiencing misery in samsara, She is the consort of Avalokitesvara, and also devoted her life to help others.

In Buddhist pantheon, it was said that there are 21 taras, each with their own specification. Below are the most famous incarnation of tara

Green Tārā, known as the Buddha of enlightened activity
White Tārā, also known for compassion, long life, healing and serenity; also known as The Wish-fulfilling Wheel, or Cintachakra
Red Tārā, of fierce aspect associated with magnetizing all good things
Black Tārā, associated with power
Yellow Tārā, associated with wealth and prosperity
Blue Tārā, associated with transmutation of anger

Last word for that little devil, I’m not looking for Tara to be my partner. It’s just a figurative expression. But thanks to Tara, I can get rid of you!
Om tare tutare ture Svaha!

No comments: