Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Innocent Friendship

I went to the Christmas Eve mass last night. Yeah, it's already Christmas again. I decided to celebrate my 22nd Christmas in Kidul Loji, the memorable parish, a place where I was christened, a place where I received my first holy communion, and also a place where I received my Chrisma sacrament.

Unfortunately, I couldn't focus my mind completely to the mass. At a time like that, my mind was occupied on something else. I tried my best to place my focus, but still I couldn't get the essence on attending the mass. It was until the eucharist prayer, I had this blank state of mind.

When they reach eucharist prayer, I noticed that it was the Eucharist Prayer 1. A prayer rarely used, but quite a memory for me. It mentioned several names of saints, and my patron saint is mentioned there. Quite a surprise, eh, since many people know not of the saint. But that's not the most important thing. The most intriguing part is the mentioning of St. Laurentius and St. Chrysogonus. Yep, two names as one.

I have this best friend of mine since kindergarten (and yea, we still try to maintain our friendship). His name is Laurentius Dian Ardiyanto.

Now you know why the prayer is so memorable. Because it mentions our name together! Laurentius and Chrysogonus. As we were still elementary level students, we often thought that it might be the sign from above, that our friendship will last forever. That our friendship might be started from our patron saints. That they might be friends (a completely wrong thing, now that we found out that St. Chrysogonus and St. Laurentius didn't live in the same era).

At the moment, my mind flew back to the past, revisiting some events involving us. Participated together in the radio broadcasting as a choir member, sleeping over at one another's home, being in the same group of boy scout, camped together, even his father being the godfather of my little brother. He was the one introducing me to the complexity and beauty of video game =)) (But I still play till now, while he gave up). He lent me books that I couldn't afford then, opening my horizon to the Dragon Ball Z Universe (very useless, eh???). But then, small things like that are what make up greatest memories. Our innocence..............

And at that time, I realized the essence of this year's Christmas. Friendship! This value of friendship.

No comments: