Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Jakarta Ranting #3: Finance and Food Shock!

This is the third part of my ranting on Jakarta. Yes, as you could see from the title, that this time is about economic aspect. As a person who was born and lives in Yogya for more than 22 years, I am accustomed to the condition in Yogya. Yet, when I went to Jakarta to look for something to eat, I was shocked.

Yes, people there spend more than fifteen thousand rupiah for a plate of gado-gado. Damn! I could get three portions in Yogya with that much money. While I thought I am the only one having the culture shock, I found out that Maya, my newly found friend from Surabaya, was falling into the same state with me. Yikes! Did that mean that Jakarta is more expensive than Surabaya in the living cost? One complaint that I remember exactly from her was that she should gave up 8000 for a bottle of aqua. Geee, thank God I am stingy and decided to refill my mineral bottle in the dorm and campus. Kekekekeke! (PS : This is my chinesse side talking!)

On our shopping trip to Plaza Senayan, I had a discussion with Bu Tere (a lecturer from Atma Jakarta who accompanied us) on the Starbucks. Yep, the famous coffee shop. The successful one in Jakarta, but is very quiet in Yogyakarta. The one which sell a cup of coffee for 50 grand rupiah. She told me that the price is quite normal in Jakarta. She even emphasized that normally a cup of coffee in a decent coffee shop would cost around 30 grand. From W to O and ended up in W. WOW!!! Big Wow! In Yogya, I would think twice to pay more than 10 grand only for a cup of coffee. I even got upset when I had to pay 13 grand for a cup of cappuccino at Own Cafe. DAMN! I could get a glassful of Frapuccino for less than 10 grand at Djendelo or the late Deket Rumah.

On the second morning of the seminar, I had a talk with Fin and Fat. They were astonished to find out that we could satisfy our hunger with only 5 grand in Yogya. For them, it is an impossible thing to do in Jakarta. Gee, they should pay Mie Tante a visit. A bowl of chicken noodle would cost only 5500. Plus a grand for a glass of ice tea.

Ah, Jakarta. I'm glad to live in Yogya...............................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bwaahahaha.... ga sabar buat ke jogja, bisa irit banget yah disana... kalo kaya gini ceritanya gw bisa nabung banyak kalo tinggal disana....

tar gw mo minta Division Manager gw buat pindahin gw ke jogja ah... biar balik ke Jakarta jadi orang kaya... hahahaha....

nah gaji gw abisnya buat gitu-gituan tuh chris... kadang pulang kerja pada nongkrong dulu di J-Co ngegosipin orang-orang lewat alesannya simple "ngumpulin energi buat kerja besok", kalo ga ikut tar malah di kucilin di kantor... fyuh, what bad relationship...

Chrysogonus said...

Hmm, jangan salah. Di Jogja pun juga ada J-Co. Cuma ya itu, nasibnya ga kaya Starbucks. Masa mahasiswa disuruh maen mulu ke J-Co ato Starbucks. Itu sih maenannya orang-orang kaya..

Kalo mahasiswa sih, mnding maen ke coffee shop murah yang ada hotspotnya. Ngirit lagi kalo maen ke Djendelo, terus pesen Es Teh Djendelo bersubsidi (cuma 2000, hehehe), terus ngenet sepuasnya.