Monday, May 07, 2007

A Tribute to Roger Long

This post is specially dedicated to the late Mr. Long, Roger Long. A good friend, a good teacher, lecturer, and boss.

Roger Long.... I just knew him 6 years ago, when he worked together with my Dad for certain research. My parents get close to him, but not me... I never saw his face, only being the facilitator for my parents to send him email. I never thought, from the email, we grew closer each day. He even brought me book that I've been looking for, a book on Skandinavian Myth. Okay, not exactly what I wanted, for I wanted to know more about Woden, Thor, Valkyries, and things. But, what the hey? We never met before, and on the first meeting, he gave me that book?

We had quite discussion, and always had dinner together everytime he came to Indonesia. We invited him to our house, and sort.

He's very grateful for having us as a family, and thus even gave house some ammount of money, either to use it to visit him, bought a new car, or for educational purposes. But, after having several family meetings, we decided to use the money to buy house, as a monument of him.. And, that house is the house in which I am living now...... So, I live inside your monument, sir!

But, that was not the most valuable thing. The most valuable things that he gave me is the experience. I worked for him as the research assistant for 3 months, (with good salary, of course, but it doesn't matter). This experience add up my dignity, my bargaining position in CV, and things.....

So, when yesterday I heard the news that he passed away, you can imagine how sad I am.. But, according to Bu Lanny, he is my teacher. And a teacher will never die. For part of my teacher is living in me, and will continue living as I pass the knowledge that I got from my teacher.

So, sir.... Mr. Long.... Roger Long..... Pak Roger...... Your physical body may perish, but your very being is living inside your students, including me.... And you will still continue living as we pass our knowledge.. You will never die!!!!!!

No comments: