Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Facebook oh Facebook!

A social networking site has become a hype since the introduction of Web 2.0. Well, not that hype though during the very first existence of it. Even I did not really pay any interest to the launching of Friendster Beta. I created my friendster account only to take a sneak peek to the global phenomenon (at that time).

During few months after the creation of my account, I didn't bother checking it at all, since I only got few friends with friendster account. But then, when they grew larger in number, I started to e caught in the flow. I started to enjoy looking for some friends of mine. Interestingly, I managed to meet some of my old friends there. Friends from elementary school, from junior high school, and some of old colleagues.

The ability to give testimonial to friends was very attractive. It became an arena to show off, a free place to encourage our narcissism. But the idea of testimonial grew older and started to be left behind. At that time, friendster started to change it into comment. But recently, the once-dynamic-site grew older and unattractive. I don't find enjoyment anymore. Nothing left to do there.

At this twilight moment, rise the dawn of facebook. As previous case, I joined facebook just because of the invitation from my friends. I created my account there, but I lost my interest to the social-networking site already. At that time, most people still used friendster, and only some migrated to the facebook.

As time went by, more and more people join facebook. I still hadn't found any good reason to be active in facebook, even with all the interesting application available there. I didn't play the game, I didn't bother sending gift or such. It was not until I found the interactive facebook mobile, in which I could access facebook via my beloved old cellphone. I found that it worked like plurk, it updated the news in a more detailed manner than friendster. (Beat me, I know I was such a n00b).

I started to be active in facebook, in terms of creating stronger bond to those in my friend list. I managed to find some people who were not in friendster before. I could even find my father's colleagues, some famous authors, some artists, and such. My mother's schoolmate did add me in facebook, thus making me the bridge for communicating with my mother. I found some lecturers of mine, and many pastors!

(This is the point of the writing!) To surprise me even more, I even found my father in the facebook. DAMN! I live with him, meet him everyday, and he didn't say any single word about joining facebook. And I found his profile!!! My dad, the techno dummy, the one who always blamed my gaming habit for corrupting the computer system, the one who couldn't differentiate between email and blog.......

Omidog! The facebook influence really is that wide!

No comments: