Monday, December 20, 2010

My Narnia


Watching the third instalment in Narnia franchise, The Voyage of Dawn Treader, my fingers were itched to write something. Well, this is the first movie ever that I watched in UK. It did not fulfil my expectation about how it should be. I don't know, whether it's related to the backing off of Disney from the franchise or the story factor that did not support the flashiness as the two previous prequels. It lacked of grandeur from the very first beginning.

However, I realized something that watching Narnia made me go into deep thought about myself. Lucy and Edmund always dream about Narnia, for the adventure and grandeur awaits them there. Whenever the real world sucks, they keep thinking about Narnia, and how that world would offer something different to them. Thus, when they enter Narnia, they completely become other people, showing their other qualities and sort of running away from their real world.

A lot of people must also dream about going to their own Narnia. And what about myself? Of course I wanted to have my own Narnia, a place where I can explore myself and be someone else. And in this matter, I think I am quite lucky. Going away from home and stepping my foot to Cambridge was the wardrobe to my own Narnia. The scholarship that I received acted as my dimensional ring to access “the pool in the magic wood”. In short, Cambridge and UK are my Narnia.

After setting my foot in Cambridge and live far from my comfort home, I started exploring myself. I live as myself, out of anybody's expectation. Out of people's expectation (since nobody know me here), out of my parents' expectation, and even living beyond my own expectation. I sort of tapped into a different personality within myself. Just as Pevensie siblings re-don their mantle as High King and Queens as they got into Narnia, I tapped into a hidden personality in me. Well, it's not a completely hidden one like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde though.

Talking about this topic, I started remembering Brad Paisley's song, Find Yourself. It is said that we can really discover who we are when we are far from home, when we are in a new area, surrounded by complete strangers. That's when we found ourselves. So, my Narnia, I will explore you more as I will also explore the dark wood of myself. Beware and anticipate the coming of your king!

No comments: