Friday, December 31, 2010

Retrospect

The year 2010 will soon end. Trapped in a quiet dark winter night, I was carried into a retrospect journey to the whole year. A crazy journey through thick and thin. It was a year of joy and a year of sorrow as well. There are things that I lost, but I gained things as well.

The first day of 2010 would never be forgotten in my whole life. The first day of the year, and I lost something that I doubt can ever be regained. It was the day when my dignity was stripped away by someone that was supposed to be very close to me. A person I am supposed to go when the whole world is against me. But this particular person even be the first one to deliver a death blow to me, degrading me in front of other people. That day, I really wished that God would just take my life in an instant, sparing me from the public humiliation.

However, during that darkest month (yes, it lasted for the whole January) I found precious friends. They walked along with me, helped me to regain my stand, and rejuvenated my power. Even better, they were still there when I could not even look at myself. They accepted me the way I am, even after all the humiliation in which turn some people against me.

The next loss was a dear friend. This was not related to the first tragedy. Heck, he even said, "I know you're strong enough, but in case you need to talk, I'll be there!" He was such a nice friend. It's too bad that through some accident, his wife asked him to back off from his friends.

I got rejected twice by the scholarship in NUS and Erasmus Mundus. With all the pressures all around from my family, I almost gave up finding the scholarship. But all of a sudden, I received the mail from Cambridge University. They gave me conditional offer of acceptance. Never really thought that Cambridge would give me that. I guess, my friends really helped me a lot. They realized that I need to get away from that environment, so some of them prayed really hard for me to get any kind of scholarship that I applied.

The journey for the scholarship was long and full of unpredicted obstacles. Thank God I got that. I had to prepare everything. Resigning from my current job and preparing farewell for everybody.

Voila, this is my third month in Cambridge already. Got a nice life here, new environment, new friends, even new family. Hope 2011 offers something better.

No comments: