Friday, December 24, 2010

Oxford #4 : DUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!

Friday, 17/12/2010

The fourth day in Oxford was signified by the plan to visit Botanical Garden. My friend said that it was a nice place to contemplate and be in silence. Sounded like a good idea, eh?

Big mistake! The weather was freezing. It was minus two, and I left my hat in Cambridge. My whole body was warm, but my ears froze. Thankfully Botanical Garden was located in the other end of the town, so the walk there warmed me a little bit.

Right across the garden was Magdalen College. The door was opened. Yay! I peeked through it and found the board written “The college is open from 1 pm till dusk”. Darn! It was still 10.30. I'd better go to the garden.

The gate of the garden was nice, quite old and 'rusty' in a good sense. The garden itself was nice – if you visited during the springtime or summer. Almost nothing to see, except for the nice fountain in the middle of the garden. It was too bad that I did not have the DSLR camera. The fountain square was nice, even during the winter. The benches all around it were providing romantic nuance. Springtime, flowers, benches, fountain, and a lover. Would be very nice! Ah, stop dreaming.

After spending quite some times around the park, I sat on the bench and opened the map. Trying to plan the next destination. All of a sudden, two ducks were standing near my feet. If I could scream, I would scream at that second. One of them was the green headed duck, the one that I feared the most. I know this might seem ridiculous, but I was afraid of ducks. They are disgusting and scary, let alone goose. Slowly I stood up and moved to different bench. As I put myself down, those two ducks started moving to my direction.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you choose different person to stalk? I HATE DUCK, I HATE DUCK, I HATE DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Quickly I ran to the third bench. However, I observed their movement before I allowed myself to sit. They went to different direction. Fiuhhh! Next place was set, New College.

On my way to New College, I found a nice shop for pen and leatherbound journal. They sold nice quill pens. An exquisite piece of art and penmanship. I was enticed by them, but I could not allow myself to spend another 20 pounds. So, mental note was made. Have to come back to Oxford before coming back home. Buy at least one quill pen for beloved grandfather!

Finding New College was not a hard task at that time. I just needed to follow Longwalk Street and turned to Hollywell Street. Crap! The college was closed and will be opened at 2 pm. It was still 11.30. Having no more plan, I strayed around and found Harris and Manchester college. They had a nice chapel and garden, but it seemed that they were not even opened for visitors. So, another camera through the bar trick was played.

Next plan was finding Campion Hall and Pembroke College. It was easy. Those two were located in front of Christ Church. Pembroke was not interesting (or had I lost my interest in exploring Oxford colleges already?). Campion Hall was pretty tight. Remembering the suggestion of the lady in the church the previous day, I intended to just ring the bell. But what should I say to them? That I share the same namesake? That I came from a Jesuit university? Peeking through the glass door, I saw a similar arrangement to the novitiate in my hometown. Well, I did not go,

Considering the next destination was quite easy, as Museum of Oxford was pretty close. It was quite nice museum to learn about Oxford, from the Anglo Saxon era to the golden age of the university. The next floor exhibited the reformation era until the present one. A nice place indeed to study and to protect me from the snow shower. Hehehehe!

As the covered market was near, I went there and found it similar to Beringharjo Market back home. Not really interesting. The clock showed 14.15. I had two choices, coming back to Magdalen and New College or having lunch. Well, since I lost my interest in the colleges already (maybe next time), I headed to Cornmarket Street to grab something to eat.

The fourth day tour was finished. But that night was the chance to enjoy the Oxford nightlife. Jolly Farmers or Castle Taverns, eh?

No comments: