Thursday, January 06, 2011

The Kitchen: Lock Down!

It's the beginning of 2011. But rather than having a blasting celebration for New Year, I just spent the last second of 2010 in my own room. Pouring a bottle of champagne into my mug (yes, a mug, not even a glass). No party, no firework, no one. The college was pretty much dead. I learned my lesson, never stay in Cambridge during New Year's Eve!

The kicking start of the year was not that striking. There were some bad things, but at least they were not as BAAAAD as the one that I had on the previous year. With the last penny in my pocket (and this is a literal meaning), I stocked my food ration. According to the calculation, I should manage to survive until the next delivery of living allowance. Chicken breast fillet, check! Instant noodles, check! Eggs, check! Four pints of milk, check! Mushrooms, check! Corned Beef, check! Rice packs, check!

Yet, something unpredictable came into realization on January 4. Due to the nasty condition of the kitchen, with all the rubbish and trash everywhere, the housekeeping department decided to shut it down. They even put a padlock on the door and a fancy paper with the most annoying poem for my stomach. "This kitchen is closed until further notice!"

W-H-A-T????? What about my chicken breast fillet???? January 4 was the last day I could cook them in a good condition. What about my milk? How can I eat my cereal without any milk? And I still had around 2,5 pints there? What about my corned beef? I could eat a can of that for three meals! What about my lovely wok? How can I cook???

Luckily I stored the instant noodles in my room. They were intended to be the meal in time of dire need. And as I could not bear the hunger any longer, two packs of Indomie were meeting my belly. Only a single pack remained.

The dinning hall has been opened as well. Suddenly, the thought of hall's meal sprung and promising the inevitable delicacy. But still, when I tasted it, the quality remained the same. What other choices did I have, anyway? I started counting the hour as my belly started humming and waited for the bell. I must have sunk so low. I could still eat there, at least I could pay later, I thought. The problem was, I haven't topped up my meal credit. After two meals, the kitchen staff asked me, "You should top up your credit as soon as possible!"

GYAAAA! I was really tempted to answer, "With whaat? Do you accept leaves as the down payment? At least reopen the kitchen, so I could use them and not dine here!!!!" But I only nodded in silence.

Let me get back into the room and check the supply. A jar of Chinese chili, a jar of Sambal Terasi, and two packs of microwavable rice. Those will be my weekend menu, then. Ah well, I've been through the same situation when I grew up. That won't be that big problem. Recalling the moment when a piece of fried chicken thigh was very precious and 'expensive', this is not a bad thing. And without this tragedy, there won't be any story to tell later on. Hehehehe!

No comments: