Saturday, June 28, 2008

Poor Billionaires


I just read the article in Kompas (28/06) about the recent condition in Zimbabwe. Yup, that Zimbabwe in Africa. That there are many millionaires, new ones. Most amazingly, even the bank clerks are receiving 100 billion Zimbabwe Dollar per month as their salary. WOW!

I can’t imagine receiving that much money for my monthly payment. If only I had that sum of money, imagine what can I buy! Car? House? Everything! I can even retire early from work. Enjoying my spare time at my own mansion, swimming at my own private pool, and cuddling with my loved one. (Oh, you wish, Doel!)

However, they don’t feel the same way I do. Why? Because the inflation there is so damn high. Statistic said that it reaches 165.000 percents! The truth can even be higher than that. And thus, the price for a rotten orange, a banana, and a pack of cigarette reaches 250 million Zimbabwe Dollar. So again, WOW!

Hence, eventhough their payment cheque reached that astonishing amount, it is still a hard time for them. Having that much money, but there are worries whether their salary will be enough to afford their monthly cost. Ouch.

But still, they deserve to be called a millionaire, even billionaire, eh??

No comments: