Thursday, May 22, 2008

English 101


This is a surprising fact that I learned during my tutorial session with kids in my neighborhood. Well, yes, finally I have this tutorial session for social reason. And it seize my three days of a week, for two groups, the junior high school and the elementary school.

The lesson that I mentioned earlier came from the Junior High School group. Uh, IMHO, I like teaching the elementary students better, probably because of their flexible cerebral plasticity (well, this is a term from psycholinguistic, referring to children's ability to learn something faster). There was this problem in the first group pace of learning. They are WAY SO SLOW! (Can you imagine, students of 2nd grade in Junior High who don't understand pronoun at all????)

However, a more surprising fact came out. When I was seeing their module, I was very very ultimately entirely shocked! So many mistakes in their modules, be it the module from their own teacher or the worksheet. So, I decided to ask them, who made the module. And they said that their own teacher made it.

How bad was the module? Okay, this is one example, from the form of telephone note.

From :
For :
Phone number :
Time :
Massage :

See the mistake? Yup, the massage word. At first, I thought it was a typo. But seeing the other forms, I realized that it was not a typo!!!! It was intentionally written like that! WHAT????

Even the teacher was still confused in differentiating noun, adjective, and adverb. See this sentence, “People in Yogyakarta are famous for their politeness, friendly, and kind!”

What was so wrong? Yup, class of word confusion. Politeness is noun, and friendly is adjective! And the word before politeness is possessive pronoun, thus it was supposed to be followed by noun. It should be “People in Yogyakarta are famous for their politeness, FRIENDLINESS, and KINDNESS!”

Aaaargh!!!! What will become of Indonesian education????

No comments: